Monday 7 December 2015

The 7 photographs that changed fashion

In this blog post I will be discussing the video we watched in class 'The 7 photographs that changed fashion'. 
The famous photographer Rankin sets off to recreate 7 most famous photos in the fashion industry. The recreated photos are from the following photographers; Cecil Beaton, Erwin Blumerfeld, Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton, Herb Ritts, David Bailey and Guy Bourdin.

So let's have a look at the images Rankin selected;

Cecil Beaton:


The original image created by Beaton in 1934 used with 10 by 8 camera which shows the image upside down. Rankin also used a digital camera to recreate this image so he could see the final result. Rankins model was Sophie Ellis Bexter as she had similar features to the original model (Elsa Schiaparelli).
I really like Rankins version with the digital camera but in the documentary I prefer the image Rankin uses with the 10 by 8 camera. 

Erwin Blumerfeld:



This image was a Vogue Cover in 1950’s with 'Jean Patchett' as the model. Rankin used Heidi Klum as the model to recreate his version of this image. Back then it would of taken anyone ages to create this image because it didn't have photoshop technology. With this image Blumenfeld wiped out the majority of the image leaving only the eye/eyebrow, lips and beauty spot. The enhance the make-up they had to paint it on after to make it stand out more. I like the modern photograph as Rankin has added his own twist by keeping the nose and with Heidi's tongue showing. But I prefer the Blumenfeld photo because I like the way it looks like a painting and how bold it looks.

Richard Avedon:

The third image is Dovima with Elephants with Dorothy Horan1955. Rankin used Erin O’Conner to recreate this image. I'm not a big fan of this image because you can see Elephants chained to the ground. I know they did this to protect the model from getting hurt but it's really cruel. But I do like how it looks like she is touching them. Almost like she is comforting them. Rankins version is very different and looks like O'Conner isn't comfortable around the Elephants.

David Bailey:

I love both these images from Bailey and Rankin. But I do prefer the original as it looks a lot softer which makes it look nicer. The shadows are more defined in Bailey's. I also like Rankins recreation but somehow doesn't have the same affect as Bailey's. 
Bailey used one of his previous lovers, Jean Shrimpton to create his image. Rankin used his girlfriend (Tuuli) to recreate the image. I love how a simple action of moving your hair can look so elegant. 


Helmut Newton:

Aubriot Vogue Street


I really liked watching this part of the documentary because Rankin got hold of the original model. She spoke about how the shoot happened and how Newton was a photographer. Rankin went to say street as the original photo was first taken place (Paris, Rue Abriot). I like how nearly identical both images are and how Rankin slightly changed the leg/hand to give it his twist. With the wet hair look it reminds of Natalie Portman in Dior adverts. 


Guy Bourdin:

I have to be honest and say this is my least favourite photo out of the seven. It was created by Bourdin in 1970's and it doesn't really say much to me. I like how simple it is but I feel it lacks something and I wouldn't have picked this image from Bourdin. Bourdin is known for doing different shoots/designs. Rankins used Daphne Guinness to recreate his version. I'm not a big fan of his version, it isn't really nice on the eye with the choice of clothes used to recreate it. The layout as an image a whole is nice but just isn't the kind of style I like. 

Herb Ritts:

Tyres 1984

This is certainly a favourite of mine. To not sound like a hormonal girl but both images appear to have two gorgeous guys. Again both images look identical to each other with Ritts shoot in Paris and Rankins in dull London, you can't tell the difference. David Gandy is looking fine in Rankins version and looks rather natural holding two tyres. It's nice to have an increase of male models in 21st Century. Many years ago if you wanted to be a male model, you were seen as being gay. I think Rankin should be happy with the final outcome of this image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment